I’m nothing if not thorough – and a little over-prepared as you can see from the chicken scatchings on the left. This was my final plan for planting the boxes, which along with a spreadsheet … yes, I have a spreadsheet to keep track of what I planted, where and how much I had left … helped me make sure I used everything I had available. And before you say it, yes, I do recognise the insanity of all this.
Each box had its own little diagram (this isn’t making it sound any better) although I still managed to ever-so-slightly mess up by changing my mind and then being unable to read my own handwriting. What that says about all that pre-planning I’ll leave you to decide.
The method to plant each box was mostly the same although I learned to make it a little easier as I went along.
Started off with the empty box.
Then all the plants were arranged.
I dug a little space then using a spare 3″ pot pushed it into the soil to make a good sized hole for each plant to drop into. Then knocked the plants out of their pots, trying not to damge them as I did so. You can see from this pic that there was nice root development on the geraniums.
The geraniums went in first to give a strong background.
Then an aster and a couple of peach naturtiums to give some contrast.
And last in were two purple trailing petunia surfinia and a mini trailing petunia in the middle which is supposed to have a red and white candy stripe flower. Lets not say too much about the colour combination, it’ll just be nice if they flower!
And finally everything got a thorough soaking …
.. and that meant EVERYTHING.
So there we go, all planted to plan, watered and then popped out on to the window ledge to get smashed to pieces by the wind and alternately dried out by the sun and drowned by my over-watering.