Following on from yesterday’s post …
It quickly became apparent that I would need somewhere to mix all the ingredients for my wacky soil so a big plastic recycling box was hastily requisitioned and pressed into soil-making service.
I decided to soak the crystals first so that they were already part way expanded when I mixed them in. I did this because I didn’t want to fill the boxes up, plant everything then find that the whole thing expanded when I gave it a good soaking. That’s kind of what happened last year with all these rubbery crystals working their way to the top so I was hoping to learn from experience.
So a few small scoops of crystals were put into a spare ceramic flower pot and water was added. In about ten minutes they were really soaking up the water and in twenty or so the pot was full to the brim with inflated crystals. It really is amazing how much they expand and I’m fairly sure they could soak up much more than I gave them. It was enough to make sure that weren’t going to completely upset the soil mix though.
The first window box I cleaned out had some tulip bulbs, cyclamen and a really old pansy left in it so they all got removed. Throwing the plants away was ok on this one as they had dies already but in later boxes it was difficult to toss a healthy looking plant away. However I just don’t have the space or the knowledge to keep them at the moment. I’ve kept the tulip bulbs for now as it could be that they can be stored for next year – I just need to learn if that’s possible or not.
With that done the soil was tipped into the mixing bowl and the rest of the ingredients were added.
More tomorrow …