The Lobelia were supposed to neatly trail and spread over the edge to provide colour and help mask the harsh look of the plastic terracotta windox boxes. Alas only one plant really took (late November and still going strong!) and they never quite lived up to expectations.
As a late season alternative Ivy seemed to be worth a try. The same ability to spread and trail albeit without the attractive flowers of the Lobelia. Rather than go crazy and plant them everywhere I decided on getting one good quality specimen from the garden centre and seeing how it worked out.
Well the answer is that it took hold immediately and is clearly forgiving of my ham fisted attempts to get the watering levels right. Even with the wind blowing it around on occasion it has held firm and provides exactly the type of shape and cover that it was intended to. And the variegated leaves gives the Ivy a more interesting look.
I was aware that Ivy was supposedly simple to take cuttings from, so, never one to miss out on an opportunity to try something new, I duly searched the net for a good guide (link to RHS page at the bottom) and armed with the trusty secateurs trimmed off a couple of vines.
Following the guide I made a whole bunch of internodal cuttings and planted them into compost contained in some peat pots I had to hand. Hopefully in a few days or weeks they’ll have rooted and be strong enough to consider planting out – although I wonder if the weather will be just too cold for them to be planted. Of course it might not work at all and I’ll be back to buying them but there’s nothing lost in having a bit of a try.